Ahoy, Mateys! Growing up, I used to love listening to our Disney Songs Record. Yep – had to play that one on the turntable. This was before the ago of multiple Disney movies, so the songs were from a smaller selection of flicks. One of my favorite tunes was “A Pirate’s Life for Me” from the cartoon movie, “Peter Pan.” I am not sure we even ever watched the movie, but I did like the song.
Evidently our middle song inherited this appreciation of pirates because for a long time I think he wanted to be a pirate. One of his favorite books that I read over and over again was Usborne’s On a Pirate Ship. Basically the premise of the book is about a gang of pirates that take over a ship then give that crew the option of being left to “drift on the swirling seas or join their fearless crew.” (I bet you can guess what their choice was!) Anyway, the book ends with “Do you think you’d be brave enough to live on a pirate’s ship?” His answer was always an emphatic “no,” which made me laugh considering how many days he would dress up like a pirate.
Needless to say, we read many a pirate book. If you have any “wannabe” pirates, perhaps they would enjoy our book list. Besides the title listed above, here are a dozen more pirate adventures. As always, you may want to preview them first. This topic has varying degrees of intensity, and obviously the goal is not to turn your child into a permanent “land lubber.” Enjoy the books or walk the plank: you decide!
- No Pirates Allowed Said Library Lou by Rhonda Gowler Greene
- Dirty Joe, the Pirate: A True Story by Bill Harley
- Maggie and the Pirates by Ezra Jack Keats
- I Love My Pirate Papa by Laura Leuck
- How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long
- Pirates Don’t Change Diapers also by Melinda Long
- Don’t Mention Pirates by Sarah McConnell
- Backbeard: Pirate for Hire by Matthew McElligot
- Backbeard and the Birthday Suit also by Matthew McElligot
- Pirate Treasure Hunt by Jan Peck
- Sheep on a Ship by Nancy Shaw (this whole series is fantastic!)
- Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC by June Sobel
As for fun DVDs, you will definitely want to check out the full length feature film by Veggie Tales – The Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything.
Leave A Comment